Friday, August 09, 2013

Songs explained: This won't end well

Hey guys, I'm making an entry from Valencia where it is so swelteringly hot that my body decided there must be something wrong with me and has given me a lovely blocked nose, scratchy throat and generally stuffed up head to rationalise this rise in body temperature. Thanks so much, meat-shell, I appreciate that.

Anyway, to keep my somewhat regular readership interested I've decided to do another song explanation. This was sorta foreshadowed in the last one (yeah, I totally thought ahead that far) and I will be giving prizes to anyone who can guess where.

Too slow! This is the other song I wrote with a purpose, the one that I never put to it's original use. "Why?", I hear you ask? I shall get to that, young ones, be patient. First off, here's the song in question:


Wow, I really don't look happy for half of these videos. This is probably because the version that goes online is the fifth or sixth take, whether that be due to me screwing up in the last few seconds or my family barging in halfway through, I'm usually pretty tired by the end. Apologies.

Anyway, that's "This Won't End Well". It's another "not love song", a song about the topic but maybe not so traditional in it's angle. I consider it one of my better songs as far as tune and lyrics go (particularly proud of the line, "and her little finger's never cold, she's got too many people wrapped around it". I don't know if that's been done before, it probably has but merp) It's also next to "I'm Sorry" as one of the songs it took me the least time to write. I didn't rush it or anything, it just got written quickly. I'm Sorry took one evening (I had a lot of feelings), this took me one weekend. I have a short attention span when it comes to these things, I need to get all the words out before I forget. Without further ado, to the story!

Riiight after this (sorry). To understand this song a little better you need to know a little about my musical influences. When I was 12, I got an ipod nano from my godfather for xmas. This was when I properly started listening to music that wasn't my dad's old CDs in the car and crappy pop on the radio. I listened to a lot of James Morrison. I think his stuff shaped how I write and how I sing a great deal. There was also a bit of Train in there, some Maroon 5, The Script and some (I really shouldn't be admitting this online) Miley Cyrus and Jonas Brothers. The last two were short lived, I swear! I'm not talking about them though. I'm talking about probably my second biggest musical influence during this time of formation. 

I'm talking about Taylor Swift.


Now, I'd like to clarify, I am not ashamed of this fact. I did and still do, to a point, admire Taylor Swift's success and storytelling. Her songs are clichéd and some of the messages are ditsy, the stories, while told well, in my opinion, are reused a lot and the tunes often sound like each other. Her early music is also quite clearly targeting a specific age and gender (both of which I may or may not have fit at the time of my fandom). She writes about fairytale endings, that boy who you like but can't talk to, teenage insecurities. While it's somewhat formulaic, many will agree that it is relateable and a lot of her stuff feels real (not so much the hits, mind you, most of them are the fairytale ditsy stuff she's known for. Yeah, I'm being hipster on this, I liked her unpopular albums. Or, um, less popular) I'm not gonna say I was in any way enlightened or had great taste in music but I felt I could relate to the music. I was like, "Hey, I wear t-shirts and sneakers as opposed to short skirts and high heels! Taylor Swift understands me!" Hell, Taylor Swift's music was probably the thing that I could relate to most at that 13/14 year-old stage (I wasn't and am still not fantastic at relating to certain people. I will address this at some point in time)

Why am I telling you all this, you may be asking yourself? Because my song, "This Won't End Well" is what I consider to be my Taylor Swiftiest song. Not because it's about fairytales, not because it's idealistic to the point of ridiculousness, not because of the language used. I draw parallels with Taylor Swift because of the intentions I had when writing this song. I wrote this song because I was angry as hell and wanted to be bitchy. Many people don't associate Swift with this kind of sentiment specifically and I honestly think this is an injustice to the gleeful spite in a lot of her songs. "Forever and Always", a seemingly innocent enough break up song was intended as a "fuck you" to Joe Jonas for being a dick to her. "You belong with me", (the song most like my own in message, I think, though mine is slightly less involved on the part of the narrator) is basically her telling some guy to break up with his girlfriend. "Speak Now" is more or less the same, but up a degree. "Better than Revenge" (which I have decided to write a blog entry on at some point, I have feelings about this) comes off as a straight up threat. Taylor Swift gon fuck you up, bitches.



So yeah, this particular song was intended as an inner monologue style "fuck you" to some bitch I knew who was messing some guy around and being really obvious about it to boot. I had all the angers. I think I'm probably going to dedicate a blog entry to my feelings about this kind of girl at some point as well. you have been warned. 

There honestly isn't much to tell about this song other that what I've just said, I was angry so I wrote a song. But I feel like writing more so I'll give an account. Let us call the girl Tina and the guy Fred. Some of this information may be fabricated to cover my ass. The key message will remain the same.

Fred is this all round nice guy. I was new to my school and so had only known him for a while but I could tell that he was a good guy, and he wasn't terrible looking either. I'd be lying if I said I didn't crush briefly but I got over that after realising we had little in common on some areas I value when it comes to relationships. Tina had a bit of a reputation. She wasn't a "slut" but she seemed to have a record when it came to guys. She also wasn't a bad person, I just had a little trouble relating to her. Not for lack of trying, I just felt I already knew her, you know the feeling. Anyway, Tina started to show an interest in Fred while simultaneously (and openly, she was hiding nothing) regularly flirting with two other guys (we'll call them Bill and John). Not only this but it was fairly obvious that Fred was picking up on her interest and reciprocating. Watching this unfold, I overheard a conversation in which Tina boasted that she could make Fred like her to the point of asking her out, dispite the fact that she was not actually interested in him. Sounds like crappy romcom stuff, right? I shit you not.

After hearing this and witnessing yet more flirting between the two (with intervals for flirting with Bill and John on Tina's part, of course) I got home kinda pissed. I hate this kind of thinking. Hate. It. I was annoyed as hell so I swiftly wrote the song you have listened to. I fully intended on playing it for Fred, which is the primary reason for the cautionary, somewhat impersonal tone used. I didn't get a chance. He asked her out, as per the plan. They broke up a while later. No, it didn't end well. 

So that's my second song explanation, I hope you liked it and don't think I'm a terrible, terrible person. There will be more song explanations, if you hate them, comment below. If you like them you can also comment below. You can subscribe to my stuff on Youtube. I'll probably write one of the two (or maybe it was three) blogs I "foreshadowed" here in the next week or so. I have school come September so the frequency of blogs may decrease. It also may not, I'm not great with the focusing, or keeping flimsy promises.

Embrace the Madness.

No comments:

Post a Comment